Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Obama's Middle Class Tax Hike?

I got this in an email this morning. Since I am babysitting my two adorable grand daughters I didn't get to really look into it. Here's the excerpt:
"We should reduce the tax burden on working people. The middle class...needs a government that is working to create jobs and opportunity."

This was President Obama on April 15 reinforcing his pledge to not raise taxes on the middle class, and to focus on job creation.

But on Sunday, Obama's advisors began laying the groundwork for a middle class tax hike that will end up killing more jobs.

Failing to defend President Obama's pledge not to raise middle class taxes, White House economist Larry Summers said "it is never a good idea to absolutely rule things out no matter what." This was echoed by Treasury Secretary Geithner, saying the administration is "going to have to do what it takes" to decrease the deficit.

I guess I will have to admit that my personal makeup causes me to have an automatic gag reflex when the pols begin to speak. If the rest of the McUSA family even notice this, I will be surprised. We'll into more detail after the jump.

The first problem I have is that I don't think it is a function of the feds to create jobs. I think it is the function of the feds to stick to the mission statement of the constitution and get out of my way. I guess I am just approaching old fogey-ism but I think my efforts get me nothing, but my results should be able to garner everything.

On the quote by Summers and Geithner, I am not surprised. Many a great leader has used his or her subordinates to do the dirty work. This tactic is used literally from bedroom to boardroom to briefing rooms in the pentagon and is right at home in the oval office. This allows Mr. Obama to remain above the fray. If he gets called out, then he has several learned advisers whispering into his ear that he can blame.

Folks, any tax is theft. If someone takes your money without your consent and has the ability to enforce the taking with force..... hence theft. But, the government must operate. In order to operate it must have money. It's a vicious circle and there is only one way to break it.

Eliminate all Taxes that are not voluntary or pay per use. Start with all variants of the Income Tax. Enact the Fairtax and if needed a National Property Tax. Keep the gas tax as it is a voluntary pay per use. Heck, even though I oppose the double standard keep the vice taxes as well. The point is that no matter your ideology or political affiliation you, and only you, should decide what taxes you pay. The Vice President might think it's patriotic to pay more taxes. I think it's bunk.

Do these five things and you can help to make a difference.
  1. Join Fairtax.org
  2. Join the local fairtax group in your area.
  3. Notify your Member of Congress that (no matter the political ideology) you support a fair, voluntary, inclusive method of taxation. If you want to be a [insert label] that's fine. Labels don't change the reality check that all realists can see: Our income tax is corrupt, broken, bloated beyond measure, and the agency that services it needs to be hauled down a notch.
  4. Notify the members of the House Ways and Means Committee that you want open hearings discussing the pros/cons of the fairtax v. the income tax.
  5. Talk to your friends and neighbors and get them to do it as well.

Fact is that if only you and I do it, it won't get done. But, there is a slim hope that if one in ten Americans do it, it might get done. Right now, I'll settle for might.

FTFGIMAD

No comments:

Post a Comment