Monday, October 24, 2011

Not Tonight Dear, I’m Occupied

Occupy Wall Street is taking the world by storm. Now well past the month mark, lots of the folks continuing to protest are dirty and smelly. They would feel right at home in the filth and grime I remember from deployments. So what has it garnered them? Is it working or is it just providing a sound byte? I don’t know, but I am glad they are out there instead of sitting at home whining about life and the system in general.
I’ve read that if you are on the left or unionized, then OWS is making a mark. In fact some are saying that it is a movement that is made with the union label. Oh wow, organized labor getting political. Who didn’t see that coming? And, the movement is everywhere. There is even an “Occupy Lubbock” movement. So far the people in Lubbock are limited to a couple of tents and one or two guys holding signs at University and 19th Street. But, I have to give them credit for stepping up and getting involved. The guy I talked to said that for the most part he’s been treated ok by the locals. Not counting a beer can or two tossed at him. But, this is Texas and that is something you risk when you look like a bum and stand on a street corner wearing a sign.
Like I said early on, I don’t agree with a lot of the occupiers demands. I am not angry at the rich for being rich. I am angry at the corrupt politicians who are not statesmen. I don’t think Corporations are evil. I think that the tax code which forces Corporations to export jobs is evil. But I am so glad to see people doing something they believe in. I have no idea how it will turn out. But this is a great expression of the First Amendment.
Now…. What do you do? How do you make a difference?
If you are legally able to vote then you should be involved in how your government runs. Maybe you don’t care about what goes on in Washington DC. How about what goes on in your back yard? Here is an example. Schools need advocates for tough teaching. If we keep cutting education and lowering standards we will eventually graduate a class where the Valedictorian can’t read a note card unless it’s written in texting lingo.
The lesson of OWS (no matter your philosophical leanings) is that Activism beats Slacktivism any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment