Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Years News

I took the New Year weekend and visited my folks. They are up in years and not as healthy as I'd wish. During that time lots of things happened. For example, Saddam Hussein is now having a tete a tete with Timmy McVeigh. Hung by the neck until dead

is so good. We could take a pointer from the Iraqi justice system.


This time of year is all about football. I don't like college ball because it is a popularity contest and true champions are rarely created. Take the Boise State vs. Oklahoma game last night. Man, what a game. But, don't you think that undefeated BState should have had a shot at a national title? Of course the debate over bowls vs playoffs will continue.


I don't remember if I mentioned this before. But President Gerald R. Ford passed on. That isn't even current news. What's current is that he is well on his way to becoming lionized and receiving some due respect. I was honestly too young to remember him well. I remember his loss to Carter, and I remember that he never seemed to bow to mudslinging or partisanship in his later years. I hope his family can find a measure of peace in his passing and the pain fades reasonably quick.


Any minute now the new Congress will convene and we shall see if the Democrats can get anything done. President Bush has already told them what they must do, or face stalemate. Essentially he let them know that simply because they have a majority, it doesn't mean they get to steam roller anyone.


The next few weeks could be interesting. But, realistically speaking, I don't think it will matter much to Mr. and Mrs. McUSA.


No comments:

Post a Comment